#1511: The Message in the Music

Don-Raskopf-the-many-shades-of-green-3-800“We are keepers of the planet, we are protectors of the water, the land, the air.” Join me and my guest Don Raskopf, a member of the Board of Directors for Clearwater, and co-founder of Ban Fracking Now, as we delve into topics of fracking, train transportation of bakken crude oil, green building and the musical connection to Clearwater via one its founders, Pete Seeger. Music continues to be the message, as it is the force behind social movement and activism. For more information about Clearwater and the upcoming Clearwater Festival go to clearwater.org.

#1509: Bedford 2020

Bedford2020_trans-01This week’s program takes place at the Bedford 2020 Summit and Solar Action Day. We spoke to Andrew Revkin, writer of the Dot Earth Blog for the New York Times, as well as Peter Olmsted, East Coast Regional Director for Vote Solar. We also spoke to Mayor Michael Cindrich of Mt. Kisco, NY about the solar projects on his agenda. Keynote Speaker Amory Lovins, of The Rocky Mountain Institute, spoke about new energy technologies that are on the horizon for the future of electricity. It was a gathering of innovators, educators and community, all working to promote solar and other renewable energy, in an effort to help create actionable solutions to green house gas emissions. A special thank you to Heather Flournoy for her hard work and hospitality. For more information go to bedford2020.org, dotearthblogs.nytimes.com and votesolar.org

#1508: It’s All About the WE

RickUlfikHeadshotSmallWe are all interconnected to one another, yet the cultural mindset continues to focus on the me, rather than the we. My guest this week, Rick Ulfik, founder of We the World, is moving to change the paradigm by promoting awareness of the need for creating a more humane spirit, by enlisting change agents from around the globe, to build a more peaceful, sustainable and empathetic world. We the World works to develop global networks of collaboration via the 11 Days of Global Unity, and 11 Ways to Change the World. It’s time for the collective will of the citizenry to use the power of WE! For more information go to We.net

#1502: Not in a Dumpster

eva-radkeWe welcome back friend of the show, and a super green human, Eva Radke, founder of Film Biz Recycling, an organization that diverts set materials from film, television and theatre, and recycles, reuses, redistributes and re-purposes those items. “Not in a Dumpster” is the mantra of Film Biz Recycling, and there are exciting new projects which are on the horizon for the coming year. The prop shop is a great place to find clothes, furniture and collectibles that have been used to dress sets such as 30 Rock, Gossip Girls, The Amazing Spiderman 2 and many more. To find out all the great things Film Biz Recycling is doing, and to get information about the prop shop, go to filmbizrecycling.org

#1447: Holiday Wishes

We bring you tidings of joy, music and all things green with our Holiday Special. Merry, Merry and Happy Happy Joy, Joy!! May the spirit of the holidays continue to spread throughout the New Year.

Sending Peace, Love, and Zen vibes from The Many Shades of Green Team…..Maxine, Abba, Brian and Mikey!

The Green Stream: Beware of US Food Politics

Green-Strem-Blog-The-Many-Shades-of-GreenBy Mikey Kohlberg

The need is greater than ever to be involved in the growing sustainability and food movement. The threats that our agriculture industry pose on climate change and human survival are blatantly obvious at this point, yet it seems that many US politicians have forsaken their duty as representatives of the common good of America while instead succumbing to the pressures of politics and corporate interest. For the sake of being concise, I won’t get into the details of the destruction that Monsanto Company and similar operations are causing to humanity and to nature. For a summary of these details, click here.

Today, I am focusing more on the dilemma of Michael R. Taylor slithering his way from atop multiple powerful positions working for Monsanto Company to holding America’s health in the palm of his hand as head honcho of the FDA. And last but not least, I hope to begin to show you all how gravely this affects us all.

To start off I want to ask a question. When did it become acceptable in this country to let someone switch so freely between the position of corporate lobbyist/lawyer and policy maker in the same field? That is what FDA Deputy Commissioner for Food and Veterinary Medicine Michael R.Taylor did. Also, do me a quick favor and google the relationship he has had with King & Spalding, a law firm that has a history of representing Monsanto. This, my friends has been called by Marion Nestle, who wrote Food Politics, “a classic example of the revolving door.”

There are those who argue for Taylor’s innocence however. Bill Marler who wrote Mike Taylor and the Myth of the Monsanto Man, claims that after knowing of him (not directly knowing him) for nearly 20 years, he is convinced Taylor is non-partial to Monsanto. Taylor himself is quoted in the article saying, “The government has clear rules about what a person can and cannot work on under those circumstances (potential partiality to an industry),” Marler then establishes his line that Taylor “follows those rules very carefully.” Marler continues to explain that when Taylor held the Deputy Commissioner for Policy (FDA) in the mid-’90s, the FDA Ethics Counsel said that he could work on general policy matters, such as policies for food labeling, but that he was precluded from any involvement in specific product approvals of interest to Monsanto. HOLD ON!

Seeing as one of the biggest US food policy issues right now is the requirement of food companies to label GMO foods, this seems like an issue that former Monsanto lawyer and VP of public policy at the largest GMO company in the world should not be engaging in! American health is at stake!

Also, according to PF Louis in his article Biotech industry at war over GMOs; millions of dollars funneled to lawmakers, “Monsanto Mike (Taylor) was able to influence the approval of rBGH (recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone), which forces cows to yield more milk while causing infections that require antibiotics. So many milk and other dairy products became contaminated with the synthetic hormone rBGH, antibiotics, and infected cow blood and puss.” If you are unaware of the futility that over antibiotic use in factory farms is causing modern medicine please check out some of these links. I encourage you to explore the topic in more detail.

Farmers-market-foodLong story short, America’s reckless agricultural techniques and lack of quality governmental oversight has created a situation in which Americans are falsely assured by their own government about the safety of their food. It is a situation that still has its solutions though. What we need is mass education which will contribute to a snowballing in consumer awareness about the importance of the local and sustainable food movement. It has started to take hold around the world but with EVERONE’S help, we will begin to change. Their have been sparks of change so far, but we need to keep the passion strong to get the fire roaring. As we eat locally and buy from small farms, food becomes much healthier, less mysterious, and more tasty. While food transportation costs and emissions are reduced, air becomes cleaner in cities and communities become stronger through community farms and other CSA projects. If you take away one thing from this blog, let it be to buy food that comes from within 100 miles of where you live!

I want to end this Green Stream blog with a note of optimism, because although there are many problems with our current food regulatory system and agricultural sector, there is much we all can do.

Buy local and Stay Green!

Find out more info about eating clean and stayed tuned for The Many Shades of Green’s interview with Ashley Spivak from Clean Plates!

#1448: Zoe Weil, Co-Founder and President of The Institute for Humane Education

Zoe-Weil-Humane-Education-The-Many-Shades-of-GreenWhat connection does Star Trek have to humane education? What needs to be done to our education system to foster creativity, compassion, ethics, empathy and critical thinking? Students need to be better prepared to be problem solvers and thinkers. Our guest this week is Zoe Weil, co-founder and president of the Institute for Humane Education (IHE). Zoe and I discuss the importance of transforming education, via concepts that teach children to be more caring, nurturing, and curious. While teaching the three R’s is important, humane education will lead to a more peaceful and harmonious society. Zoe is working to establish the Solutionary School in NYC, as she believes that societal problems can be solved by offering curriculum which highlights social justice, respect and empathy, in order to create a more humane and sustainable world. For more information about The Institute for Humane Education and The Solutionary School please visit humaneeducation.org & solutionaryschoolnyc.org and check our her inspiring “The World Becomes What You Teach” Tedx Talk: http://youtu.be/t5HEV96dIuY

#1446: Happy Greengiving

Holiday-Greengiving-tmsog copy

It’s that time of year again, when consumerism and family collide into what we call the holiday season. To help you incorporate sustainable choices into your gift giving, decorations and food, we’ve invited Elissa Olin from Green in BKLYN, Ashley Spivak from Clean Plates and Eva Radke of Film Biz Recycling to share their tips and ideas. greeninbklyn.com, cleanplates.com & filmbizrecycling.org

#1436: Andra Tomsa, Founder of the app, SPARE

Andra-Tomsa-In-Studio-The-Many-Shades-of-GreenHunger is a quiet crisis that demands our attention. My guest this week is Andra Tomsa, Founder of Spare, an organization working to help fight hunger via an app and website that rounds up your restaurant or bar tab, and tracks your donation in real time. Spare has partnered with the Food Bank of NYC and City Harvest to get meals to those who rely on food kitchens and shelters for assistance. For more information please go to sparenyc.org.

#1441: Paul Lazarus Discusses His New Documentary, “Slingshot”

Paul-Lazarus-BWWater is the source of all life, there is a world water crisis, and millions of people on the planet do not have potable, clean, drinking water. My guest this week, Paul Lazarus, director, writer and producer of film, television and theater has directed a wonderful documentary entitled, Slingshot. The film focuses on the the current global water crisis, and the path that inventor/engineer extraordinaire, Dean Kamen takes to bring his water purification system to the world market. The documentary has won film festival awards, and is a must see movie. For more information, go to www.slingshotdoc.com

#1437: Bob Carmichael, Photographer, Videographer & Emmy Award Winning Producer

bob-carmichaelRestoring and converting a Landmark 100+ year old home in Boulder, CO to a LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Platinum home, is just one example of the amazing things that this week’s guest, Bob Carmichael does to bring positive flow to the planet. He is an Emmy Award winning producer for the the documentary film “Football in America,” and an Academy Award nominee for his short, “Fall Line” a film about extreme skiing. Bob is a wonderful photographer and videographer, and he specializes in nature shoots, as well as music shoots. He loves the great outdoors, and works to be a leader on issues of sustainability. He truly is a protector of the planet. His video about the conversion of his Boulder home to a LEED certified home, can be viewed on YouTube under Boulder Landmark Meets LEED Platinum: http://youtu.be/Lbc8CvXrt9g. You can also visit BobCarmichael.com to see his nature photography and great pics of the band Maroon 5.

1429: Michael Tobias, President of Dancing Star Foundation

Michael-Charles-Tobias-The-Many-Shades-of-GreenHal David and Burt Bacharach got it right when they wrote the lyrics “what the world needs now is love sweet love, it’s the only thing that there’s just too little of.” My guest, Michael Charles Tobias and I discuss the need for society to put more emphasis on compassion, by promoting and teaching non-violence, which we hope will lead to more ethical, nurturing and loving cultures. Michael gets the word out about the problems and possible solutions to violence, extinction, climate change and more, through his most recent book, Hope on Earth-A Conversation, which he co-wrote with Dr. Paul Ehrlich. He also addresses issues of biodiversity, animal protection and conservation via his work as president of the Dancing Star Foundation. Last but not least, we discuss recent findings of the lost civilizations in Northern Mexico, and what clues the petroglyphs left about the tribal life centuries ago, and how those etchings could affect both current and future inhabitants of Earth. For more info on Michael Charles Tobias go to: michaeltobias.org and dancingstarfoundation.org. His most recent book, Hope on Earth-A Conversation is available through amazon.com

#1429: Michael Tobias, President of Dancing Star Foundation